Learning to control our anger is a much needed skill in the high pressure work environments of today. It makes for more harmonious and constructive atmosphere at work, resulting in more job satisfaction and better productivity. Although we cannot control the external factors that trigger our anger we certainly have a say in how we react to them. Below are some simple techniques that are helpful in anger management.
- Identify the reasons for your anger and the underlying causes. Try to isolate the source(s) of your anger and address it. One at a time.
- If you feel you are getting angry, remove yourself from the setting for while. Attend to the matter when you are calm.
- Pick up a physical activity, letting out your stress somewhere else keeps you from pouring it out on people around you.
- Practice breathing techniques, yoga has proven widely effective for anger management.
- If your anger is out of control, seek help immediately. Talk to your friends or see a professional.
We must also recognize that there are times when anger is justified and needs to come out. The idea is to control it, divert it productively and not to let it get better of you.